An easy way to remember the items to inspect is the phrase “START-GO.”
Steering, Skis, and Drive System
- For the steering system, verify that handlebars turn smoothly.
- Make sure skis are in good shape and free from ice.
- Check that the drive belt is in good shape and tight.
Throttle and Brake
- Press levers—they should move easily and snap back.
- Check that cables are in good shape with tight connections.
- Turn on the lights.
- Press the brake, and have your riding partner make sure the brake light illuminates.
- Remove any ice, snow, and dirt from your lights, instruments, mirrors, and windshield.
Registration and Reflectors
- Make sure that your registration and trail permits/passes are attached and dates are current, as required by the state.
- Check that reflectors are attached and clean.
Track and Suspension
- Make sure that the track is in good shape. Studs and paddles should be tight.
- Be sure that the suspension is functioning well.
Gasoline and Ignition System
- Make sure the tank is full of fresh gas.
- Make sure the air filter is clean, undamaged, and unblocked.
- Replace spark plugs if necessary.
- Check oil while the engine is off.
- Check for oil or fuel leaks.