Sometimes you may not have access to wood, paper, or any other material necessary to start a fire. If not, while you're waiting to be rescued:
- Limit your physical activity to conserve energy. Also, sweating dampens your inner clothing and makes you feel colder.
- Seek shelter from the wind and cold.
- Don't rest for long on rocks, the ground, or other cold surfaces.
- Wrap your body in a thermal foil blanket. This maintains a temperature of 60°F (16°C) inside the wrap, even when the outside temperature is -10°F (-23°C).
- Conserve your resources and use them wisely.
- Learn detailed winter survival tips from scout organizations, public libraries, camping goods stores, and the Internet.