The equipment required for snowmobiling in Michigan includes:
- Safety helmet: A person operating or riding on a snowmobile must wear a safety helmet approved by the United States Department of Transportation.
- Lights: A snowmobile must display a lighted headlight and taillight at all times. It is illegal to cover your headlight with any type of colored cover.
- Brakes: Brakes must be capable of stopping within 40 feet when traveling at 20 mph while carrying an operator weighing 175 pounds or more on packed snow.
- Muffler: A snowmobile may not be operated without suitable and effective muffling devices. When measured on the A scale at a distance of 50 feet, the muffler must limit engine noise while at full throttle to:
- No more than 86 decibels for models manufactured before July 1, 1977, or…
- No more than 78 decibels for models manufactured after July 1, 1977.