In addition to registering a snowmobile, an owner must purchase a Michigan snowmobile trail permit sticker.
- The permit is valid for one year, beginning on October 1 and ending on September 30.
- Trail permits may be purchased at various locations, including sporting goods stores, snowmobile dealers, department stores, and resort motels.
- A person who fails to purchase a permit may be fined up to $100.
- The trail permit sticker must be affixed permanently to the forward half of the snowmobile, directly above or below the sled's headlight.
- A snowmobile used solely for transportation on frozen public waters for ice fishing is not required to have a trail permit sticker.