The Tread Lightly! program supports recreationists by encouraging outdoor ethics to preserve the beauty of wild land. The word “TREAD” helps us remember to:
- Travel responsibly on designated roads and trails or in permitted areas.
- Respect the rights of others, including private property owners, all recreational trail users, campers, and others to allow them to enjoy their recreational activities undisturbed.
- Educate yourself by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies, planning for your trip, taking recreation skills classes, and knowing how to use and operate your equipment safely.
- Avoid sensitive areas, such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands, and streams, unless on designated routes. This protects wildlife habitat and sensitive soils from damage.
- Do your part by leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species, restoring degraded areas, and joining a local enthusiast organization.
Responsible operation will help preserve rights for all trail riders.