About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the Montana Snowmobile Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Snowmobile Safety Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Anyone wanting to ride on specially designated roads must have a driver's license or a snowmobile safety certificate.

  • Adults must have a motor vehicle driver's license.
  • Minors must have a Snowmobile Safety Education Course certificate and be accompanied by an adult who is within eyesight.

To obtain a Snowmobile Safety Education Course certificate, you must do one of the following:

  • Attend and successfully complete a Montana–approved snowmobile course. Classes are offered across Montana and are taught by volunteers. To find a class, contact your local snowmobile club or visit http://stateparks.mt.gov/recreation/snowmobileProgram.html.
  • Complete the Montana online course if a classroom course is not available in your area. To take the online course go to the Montana State Parks website or call 406-444-3753 for instructions regarding the online course.

Montana State Parks will approve safety education certificates from other states on a case-by-case basis.