Skip to main content

Course Outline

Anyone wanting to ride on specially designated roads must have either a driver’s license or a Snowmobile Safety Education Certificate, depending on their age.

  • Adults must have a motor vehicle driver’s license.
  • Minors must have a Snowmobile Safety Education Certificate and be accompanied by an adult who is within eyesight.

To obtain a Snowmobile Safety Education Certificate, you must do one of the following:

  • Attend and successfully complete a Montana-approved snowmobile course. Classes are offered across Montana and are taught by volunteers. To find a class, contact your local snowmobile club, or visit the Montana Snowmobile Program website.
  • Complete the Montana online course if a classroom course is not available in your area. To take the online course, go to the Montana Snowmobile Program website, or call 406-444-3753 for instructions regarding the online course.

Montana State Parks will approve safety education certificates from other states on a case-by-case basis.

  • Unit 6 of 6
  • Topic 3 of 4
  • Page 1 of 2