Skip to main content

Course Outline

Most federal and state agencies provide travel maps that indicate where snowmobile use is allowed. Before riding your snowmobile, always contact the local land managing authority for current trail maps and riding information.

Currently registered snowmobiles may be operated only on public lands, roads, or trails that are signed or designated for snowmobile use. Exceptions exist if you are:

  • Crossing a public road at a right angle after coming to a complete stop and yielding to oncoming traffic or...
  • Loading or unloading the snowmobile from a trailer or vehicle or...
  • Experiencing an emergency.

Snowmobiles may be operated on private property with the consent of the owner or person in charge. Always obtain permission before entering any private property.

The U.S. Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, and other federal and state land managing agencies determine where snowmobile use is permitted on their lands. The operator is responsible for knowing which routes are open to snowmobiles.

Designated wilderness areas are off-limits to all mechanized travel.

A person may not operate a wheeled vehicle with a gross weight of 800 pounds or more on any trail that the Utah State Parks has marked, posted, designated, or maintained as a snowmobile trail.

Snowmobiles may be operated on streets or highways which have been officially closed for the season to conventional motor vehicle traffic because snow removal is no longer provided for the season by the public authority having jurisdiction.

To hold an organized snowmobile race or other event, you must obtain a permit from the agency or landowner with jurisdiction over the land or road where the event is to be held.

For maps showing where snowmobiling is allowed, call the Utah OHV education office at 801-538-RIDE, or visit the Utah State Parks website.

  • Unit 6 of 6
  • Topic 4 of 4
  • Page 2 of 3