Nothing can protect you completely, but knowing what to wear can reduce the chance of injury, as well as make your ride more comfortable.
- Benefits of Proper Clothing
- The proper clothing protects you from scratches as well as extremes of the weather.
- A protective suit helps cushion you in falls or collisions.
- Wearing a snowmobile suit may help you float for several minutes.
- Clothing Selection
- Ideally, wear a snowmobile suit.
- Alternatively, use pants with kneepads, long-sleeved shirt or jacket with chest and shoulder protectors, and a riding belt for lower-back support.
The ideal winter outfit for riders is a snowmobile suit. In addition to keeping you warm, a snowmobile suit will keep you afloat if you fall into freezing water. Because it traps air, it acts like a flotation device. Some suits also have flotation material sewn into the lining, and others have special air pockets that you can inflate by blowing into a tube.
Clothing should fit snugly and still be comfortable. Clothing that’s too loose can snag on your sled, twigs, and branches.