About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Minnesota Snowmobile Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Minnesota Snowmobile Safety Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Several types of registration are available for a snowmobile.

  • Trail-Use Registration: With a trail-use registration, you have unlimited use of Minnesota’s 22,000 miles of state and grant-in-aid trails.
  • Non-Trail Registration: Non-trail registration is not transferable. With a non-trail registration, a snowmobile:
    • May not be operated on a state or grant-in-aid trail, including a grant-in-aid trail on a public road’s right-of-way.
    • Must have its non-trail registration number and the yellow registration decal affixed to the machine.
    • May not purchase a Snowmobile State Trail Sticker to operate on a state or grant-in-aid trail.
    • Must be re-registered and get a new registration number before being operated on a state or grant-in-aid trail.
  • Collector’s Permit: Instead of registering a snowmobile, you may apply for a permit to operate or transport a collector snowmobile.
    • The snowmobile must be at least 25 years old, originally produced as a separate identifiable make by the manufacturer, and owned and operated only as a collector’s item.
    • With the permit, you may:
      • Operate or transport the snowmobile in parades or organized group outings such as races, rallies, and other promotional events and…
      • Operate the snowmobile for up to 10 days per year for personal transportation and…
      • Operate on a state or grant-in-aid trail.
    • You must carry the permit with you while operating or transporting the snowmobile.
    • If you sell the snowmobile, the permit cannot be transferred to the new owner.
  • Collector Registration: Collector registration for unlimited use is available for snowmobiles that are at least 25 years old.
    • This type of registration is optional, does not expire, and cannot be transferred to another person.
    • You must also have a Snowmobile State Trail Sticker to operate on a state or grant-in-aid trail.