If You Get Caught in an Avalanche
If you get caught in an avalanche, taking these steps may help you survive.
- Try to stay on your snowmobile and ride to the side of the avalanche.
- If you are wearing a pack, keep it on. It will help with flotation.
- If you fall off your snowmobile:
- Push yourself away from the machine so that it will not injure you.
- Fight hard by “swimming” to stay on top of the snow.
- Try to roll on your back so that you will be face up when you stop.
- As the avalanche slows, thrust your arm straight up. Then expand your chest and use your arm to create airspace.
- Stay calm, and try not to panic. This will help your oxygen last longer.