The ditches (right-of-way) beside a roadway are not designed for vehicular travel.
- These areas contain many hazards that can get in your way and cause an accident.
- Hazards found in roadway ditches include utility poles, sign posts, guy wires, cables, gates, fences, rocks, stumps, cut brush, culverts, fire hydrants, and mailboxes.
- You also may encounter cars or trucks, other snowmobiles, driveways, road embankments, and snow drifts.
- Some hazards will be visible while others may be hidden under the snow.
- If you do operate in a ditch, take these precautions.
- Go slowly.
- Make sure you ride in the bottom or outside slope at all times.