Video: Gearing Up To Ride
Press the play button (▶) above to start the video. Trouble with this video?
Press the play button to start the video.
Benefit of Proper Clothing
- The proper clothing protects you from scratches as well as extremes of the weather.
- A protective suit helps cushion you in falls or collisions.
- Wearing a snowmobile suit may help you float for several minutes.
- Ideally, wear a snowmobile suit.
- Alternatively, use pants with kneepads, long-sleeved shirt or jacket with chest and shoulder protectors, and a riding belt for lower-back support.
The ideal winter outfit for riders is a snowmobile suit. In addition to keeping you warm, a snowmobile suit will keep you afloat if you fall into freezing water. Because it traps air, it acts like a flotation device. Some suits also have flotation material sewn into the lining, and others have special air pockets that you can inflate by blowing into a tube.
Clothing should fit snugly and still be comfortable. Clothing that’s too loose can snag on your sled, twigs, and branches.