The Handbook of Montana Snowmobile Regulations
The Official Snowmobiling Handbook of the Montana State Parks - Web Version
Table of Contents
Operating a Clean, Quiet Machine
An improperly adjusted track system hurts performance and increases emissions and noise. Consult your owner’s manual before you attempt any adjustments or repairs. Taking your machine to a licensed snowmobile mechanic may be best.
Beyond a pre-season check-up and regular maintenance, there are additional things you can do to make sure your snowmobile runs cleaner and quieter.
- Use high-grade oil and gasoline.
- Tune the engine for your altitude, including the proper carburetor jet setting.
- Change the spark plugs at least once during the season.
- Avoid opening and closing the throttle continuously.
- Don’t tamper with your exhaust pipes to increase the noise of your machine.