The Handbook of Montana Snowmobile Regulations
The Official Snowmobiling Handbook of the Montana State Parks - Web Version
Table of Contents
Operating Your Snowmobile Legally
You must obey the following Montana laws when operating your snowmobile. Additional regulations may be found on the FWP website: http://fwp.mt.gov/.
Operating on Roads:
Snowmobiles may be operated on maintained streets, roads, or highways only if:
- The roadway is covered by snow to the extent that travel is impossible by other motor vehicles
- The local government allows snowmobiles to travel on plowed roads where wheeled vehicles operate
- The operator has:
- A motor vehicle driver’s license or…
- A snowmobile safety certificate and operates under the visual supervision of an adult 18 years or older
Be careful when crossing any type of road. You must:
- Come to a complete stop.
- Make sure no traffic is coming from any direction.
- Cross at a right angle to the traffic.
Operating on Unfrozen Public Water:
It is illegal.
Operating at Night:
Snowmobiles that are operated between dusk and dawn must have a lighted headlight and a lighted taillight.
It is illegal to discharge a firearm from or upon a snowmobile.