Understanding Operator Requirements

In Montana, anyone wanting to ride on specially designated roads must have a driver’s license or a snowmobile safety certificate.


Must have a motor vehicle driver’s license.


Must have a Snowmobile Safety Education Course certificate and be accompanied by an adult who is within eyesight.

To obtain a Snowmobile Safety Education Course certificate, you must:

  • Attend and successfully complete a Montana-approved snowmobile course. To find a class, contact your local snowmobile club or FWP at 406-444-7317 or visit http://stateparks.mt.gov/recreation/snowmobileProgram.html.
  • Complete the Montana online course if a classroom course is not available in your area. To take the online course go to the Montana State Parks website, or call 406-444-3753 for instructions regarding the online course.
    (Montana State Parks will approve safety education certificates from other states on a case-by-case basis.)

Responding After an Accident

  • If you are involved in an accident, you must report the accident to the Montana law enforcement agency.
  • You must report the accident immediately if the accident resulted in the death or injury of a person.