Registering Your Snowmobile

To operate a snowmobile on public land legally, you must register your snowmobile and display the registration decal.

Montana Residents Permanent Registration and Trail Pass

  • Registration of personal snowmobiles is permanent and remains valid until the machine is sold.
  • The sliver registration decal with “PERMANENT” on it must be affixed to the left side of the cowl.
  • To operate a snowmobile, fat tire bicycle, or a motorized snow bike on a groomed snowmobile trail, a Montana resident must purchase a Trail Pass decal. The Trail Pass is valid for 3 seasons and must be clearly visible.

Nonresident Permits

  • For any snowmobile not registered in Montana, you must have a current nonresident permit to operate your machine legally on Montana public lands.
  • Permits expire on June 30.
Montana Resident and Nonresident Permits

Where to Register