The Handbook of Montana Snowmobile Regulations
The Official Snowmobiling Handbook of the Montana State Parks - Web Version
Table of Contents
Registering Your Snowmobile
To operate a snowmobile on public land legally, you must register your snowmobile and display the registration decal.
Montana Residents Permanent Registration and Trail Pass
- Registration of personal snowmobiles is permanent and remains valid until the machine is sold.
- The sliver registration decal with “PERMANENT” on it must be affixed to the left side of the cowl.
- To operate a snowmobile, fat tire bicycle, or a motorized snow bike on a groomed snowmobile trail, a Montana resident must purchase a Trail Pass decal. The Trail Pass is valid for 3 seasons and must be clearly visible.
- For any snowmobile not registered in Montana, you must have a current nonresident permit to operate your machine legally on Montana public lands.
- Permits expire on June 30.
Where to Register
- Resident: County Treasurer’s office in county of residence
- Nonresident: Vendors, FWP offices, or online at http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/permits/