The Handbook of Montana Snowmobile Regulations
The Official Snowmobiling Handbook of the Montana State Parks - Web Version
Table of Contents
Basic Snowmobile Safety Code
- Do not consume alcohol or take drugs prior to or during your snowmobile trip.
- Know your ability to snowmobile on slopes, trails, or other areas.
- Slow down and don’t cut to the inside of trail corners.
- Maintain control of your speed and course at all times.
- Heed all posted warnings.
- If you snowmobile at night, don’t override your lights.
- Always use the buddy system. Never ride off alone or unaccompanied.
- Whenever possible, avoid the ice.
- Wear sensible, protective clothing designed for snowmobiling.
- Use a full-size helmet, goggles, or visor to prevent injuries from twigs, stones, ice chips, and flying debris.
- Never wear any loose clothing which could get caught in moving parts of the snowmobile.
- Know the terrain where you are going to ride.
- Know the weather forecast, especially the ice and snow conditions in the area.
- Be sure your snowmobile is in top-notch mechanical condition throughout the months of use.
- Familiarize yourself with the snowmobile you are driving by reading the owner’s manual.
- Do not pursue domestic or wild animals.