The Handbook of Montana Snowmobile Regulations
The Official Snowmobiling Handbook of the Montana State Parks - Web Version
Table of Contents
If You Break Through Ice
- Don’t panic. Your snowmobile suit and helmet may keep you afloat for several minutes.
- Swim to the closest edge, and stretch your arms out across the unbroken ice. Keep your gloves on.
- Jab a sharp object such as a knife or ice pick into the ice.
- Kick your feet hard. Pull yourself up with your forearms.
- If the edge breaks off, move to the next solid edge. Try again.
- Crawl up onto the ice. Then crawl or roll until you’re on solid ice.
- Take action immediately to prevent hypothermia.